Last Thursday Nick and I got our flu shot. Within about 10 minutes it hurt to move my arm and by the next day I think I would have screamed at anyone who touched it. Luckily by Sunday it was all back to normal. I have been hearing that lots of people have been having that reaction this year. And...how strange is it to get a flu shot in September!! If I get one I usually end up getting it in October or November. Nick's work has a few nurses come in on a certain day every year and pop people with flu shots and this year it just happened to be in September. I can see it now....I'll be down and out with the flu in February. Sigh.
And then on Friday of last week I took Claire to the doctor for her 6 year checkup. The nurse was doing the height/weight type of stuff and asked me if both kids would like the flu shot this visit. Heck, we usually have issues getting the kids popped with the flu vaccine because the kids are sick or the flu clinic days don't work out or something goes wrong. So I said, "sounds good to me". You should have seen Claire's look of death at me. I told her for a good 2 weeks that she wouldn't get any shots at this visit and within 2 minutes of being there she knew she was getting one. Well in my defense I really didn't think she was going to get a shot. And Adam really didn't see it coming until the shot was going in his arm; here he thought he was just coming along for the ride. Claire did a pretty good job and if you ask Adam if he was brave, he will tell you no...he cried. But I think they both did a great job!
Claire is growing and has no health concerns except we decided to get her tested for a shrimp allergy. She at least knew this was coming and knew that she was going to have to get blood drawn. So the doctor and I thought of all the things we should get her tested for since we were going to get a vial of blood. We decided to get her tested for calcium and vitamin D. Hopefully this week we will get back the results. Claire did a great job getting poked in the arm again. She was started to get all worked up and I informed her that the needle was already in and she should just sit back and enjoy watching her blood go through the tube. Yay, she isn't squeamish about seeing her own blood! But she did think that the needle should come out soon.
So Saturday rolls around and the kids and myself all wake up with a cold. Blah. I think I've had a similar one before because it hasn't affected me much at all and the kids are almost over it.
My Fourteen-and-Three-Quarters Year Old
4 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment